Candles are a common item found in many homes. But did you know that burning some types of candles could affect your health? Here are a few things you should know about how candles could be affecting your Kennesaw home’s indoor air quality and your family’s wellbeing.
Hidden Danger of Common Candles
Paraffin wax and gel candles are some of the most common types of candles found in homes. While they look innocent and smell pleasant, they are most likely to release toxins into the air in your home. Why? Because these candles are made from petroleum.
When you burn paraffin or gel candles, carcinogenic toxins are released in the air, including:
These are the same toxins released in the air when diesel fuel is burned.
Some Candles Can Trigger Allergy Symptoms
You may burn scented candles to freshen your home. However, these candles can trigger allergic reactions in sensitive individuals, like those with asthma, allergies, or chronic respiratory problems. Common physical reactions triggered by burning candles may include:
- Watery and itchy eyes
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Asthma attacks
Safer Candle Alternatives
If you are worried about the impact of burning candles on your home’s indoor air quality, there are safer alternatives available. Soy or beeswax candles are healthier options because they produce very little soot, are non-toxic, and are less likely to trigger allergic reactions. While they may cost a little bit more than paraffin candles, they last longer, and you do not need to worry about them affecting your home’s air.
Improving Your Home’s Indoor Air Quality
There could be other things in your home that threaten its indoor air quality. If your home does not smell fresh or your family suffers from allergies or respiratory problems, you may want to consider our indoor air quality solutions. Contact Total Comfort Solutions Heating and Cooling for all your Kennesaw home’s indoor air quality and heating and cooling repair, maintenance, and installation needs.